Size: Determine the size of the rug you need by measuring the space where you plan to place it. Keep in mind that cowhide rugs come in different sizes, shapes, and patterns.
Quality: Look for high-quality cowhide rugs that are durable, soft, and thick. Check for any defects, such as holes, thin spots, or bald patches.
Pattern: Consider the pattern of the cowhide rug. Some rugs have a solid color, while others have a speckled or spotted pattern. Choose a pattern that works well with your decor.
Texture: Touch the rug to feel the texture. A high-quality cowhide rug should feel soft and supple to the touch.
Price: Cowhide rugs can vary in price depending on the quality, size, and color. Set a budget and choose a rug that fits within your price range.
Maintenance: Cowhide rugs are easy to maintain. Regularly shake out the rug to remove dust and dirt. Spot-clean any spills with a damp cloth.
Care and Maintenance of a Cow Hide Rug
- Regularly shake out or vacuum the rug to remove dust and debris. Avoid using a beater bar attachment on your vacuum, as this can damage the hide.
- If the rug gets wet, blot it immediately with a clean towel or cloth. Avoid rubbing the area, as this can cause the hair to mat or become discolored.
- Avoid placing the rug in direct sunlight or near a heat source, as this can cause the hide to fade or dry out.
- If you spill something on the rug, clean it up immediately with a damp cloth and mild soap. Be sure to rinse the area thoroughly and allow it to dry completely before using the rug again.
- Rotate the rug periodically to prevent uneven wear and fading.
- If the rug becomes soiled or stained, consider having it professionally cleaned by a leather or hide specialist.
Ways to Incorporate a Cow Hide Rug into Your Home
Use it as a centerpiece: Place the cowhide rug in the center of your living room or dining room as a focal point. This can add warmth and texture to your space.
Layer it with other rugs: Cowhide rugs can be layered with other rugs to create a cozy and eclectic look. Choose rugs that complement the colors and textures of the cowhide rug.
Drape it over furniture: Drape the cowhide rug over a sofa or armchair for added texture and visual interest. This can also help protect the furniture from wear and tear.
Place it in a bedroom: Cowhide rugs can add a cozy and rustic touch to a bedroom. Place it at the foot of the bed or underneath a bedside table.
Use it in a home office: Add a cowhide rug to your home office to create a warm and inviting space. Place it under your desk or in front of a bookshelf.
Hang it on the wall: If you’re looking for a unique way to incorporate a cowhide rug into your home, consider hanging it on the wall as a piece of art. This can add texture and visual interest to your walls.